The Ocean View Historical Society was incorporated as a non-profit, 501(c)(3) organization in January 2008. Since then, the Society’s membership has grown to over two hundred members and volunteers dedicated to preserving and interpreting the history of Ocean View, Delaware. We have expanded our mission to The Coastal Towns Museum at 40 West Avenue where the towns of Ocean View, Millville, Bethany Beach, South Bethany, and Fenwick Island have displays featured. In progress is our Visitor’s and Education Center, known as Hall’s Store (as Ocean View was called in the 1800’s). When this is completed, there will be space for lectures, social events, meetings and educational lessons. The front of the building will feature a store similar to those of the 1800’s, which will further enhance our programs.
Click here to see the 2015 Annual Report
In June of 2012, the Society achieved one of its major goals of placing the 1860 Tunnell-West House on the National Registry of Historic Places. The Society’s past President, Dr. Richard Nippes, lovingly labored to complete the initial research, and spurred the efforts of many others, to return the home to its original classic lines.
COASTAL TOWNS MUSEUM
On April 22, 2017, the Historical Society formally dedicated the Evans West house. In the summer of 2018, the house had a “soft opening” as the Coastal Towns Museum. By the summer of 2019, we hope to have the beginnings of what The Coastal Towns Museum will look like. Be sure to plan to visit us on Wednesdays from Memorial Day to Labor Day from 1:00 to 3:00.